Hello,

I have taken over management of a server running courier mail services.

Today for the first time users were complaining that sending mail was either really slow or timing out entirely.

Not knowing much about courier I started trudging through logs and config files.

I found that MAXDAEMONS was set at 40 and that limit was being reached in 1-2 seconds after courieresmtpd was restarted. We do receive a lot of spam, I counted about 12000 connection attempts in about 8 hours to the esmtp server.

I increased the MAXDAEMONS to 128, which helped a bit. Then later to 256 which seems to have helped a bit more. I am still reaching the max connection limit and maintaining it within 20 or so all day.

I am not seeing a large number of errors in the log besides user unknown (spam)

Is setting MAXDAEMONS this high normal? It seems a little extreme to me.

Am I just putting a band-aid on a bigger issue?
Does anyone have any ideas of where I should look?

Thanks,
Josh