So I have been using Courier on Solaris for many years now and I don't
upgrade as often as I should since it tends to be a struggle on this
platform. I will start out with the problem I'm experiencing.

Solaris 7 on Sparc
gcc (GCC) 3.1
Gnu make, ld and friends
courier-authlib-0.58
courier-0.52.1.20051122
openssl-0.9.8a

The new demonized version of webmail refuses to authenticate, failing with
the following error message:

maildircache: Cache create failure - authentication process crashed.

I have the authlib daemon in logging mode and it doesn't seem to get
queried. My old monolithic webmail binary is still functional. The stand
alone sqwebmail ( sqwebmail-5.0.6.20051122 ) had the same issue. I saw where
this error is thrown, but it was not obvious to me what would cause the
failure. I have not seen anyone else report this failure, so I'm sure it is
some dumb Solaris related quirk (or an artifact from my old configuration.)

My config flags are below, and I will promptly respond with any additional
info you may require.

export CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/local/ssl/include -I/usr/local/ssl/include/openssl"
export LDFLAGS="-L/usr/local/ssl -L/usr/local/ssl/lib -lcrypto -lssl"

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/courier --with-mailuser=courier
--with-mailgroup=courier --enable-unicode --enable-webpass=no --enable-https
--enable-mimetypes=/usr/local/apache2/conf/mime.types
--with-maxformargsize=8000000 --with-waitfunc=wait3
--enable-trusted-groups=courier --with-formdata
--enable-utf7-folder-encoding --without-authldap --disable-autorenamesent
--with-mailuid=101 --with-mailgid=101 --enable-imageurl=/images
--with-cachedir=/usr/local/courier/var/webmail-logincache
--with-cacheowner=courier --enable-workarounds-for-imap-client-bugs

As a tip to someone google smacking this post, you may need to hand edit the
makefile in the tcpd folder adding "-lssl -lcrypto" to the 'LIBS =' line to
get couriertls to build. Getting Open SSL to be recognized is always a pain.