Jay Lee wrote:
> On Tue, October 3, 2006 11:41 am, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>> I am setting up a mail server with courier-imap over SSL.  I have no
>> problem connecting to the server with outlook express, outlook, and
>> thunderbird.  I can download all messages.
>>
>> I do get this message about SSL in the maillog...
>>
>> Oct  3 11:17:27 imapd-ssl: Unexpected SSL connection shutdown.
>> Oct  3 11:17:27 imapd-ssl: LOGOUT, user=al1, ip=[::ffff:192.168.12.3],
>> headers=0, body=0, rcvd=392, sent=1206, time=57, starttls=1 Oct  3 11:22:56
>> imapd-ssl: Unexpected SSL connection shutdown.
>> Oct  3 11:22:56 imapd-ssl: DISCONNECTED, user=***,
>> ip=[::ffff:192.168.12.3], headers=0, body=0, rcvd=294, sent=34507,
>> time=388, starttls=1
>>

> This means that the server wasn't ready for the disconnect.  It does not
> necessarily indicate an error other than a poorly coded IMAP client that
> doesn't properly terminate the connection.  If your clients are behaving
> properly, you should have nothing to worry about.  If not, what are the
> clients doing?  Can you post an IMAP session log?
>
> Jay Lee

As one managing an organization addicted to Outlook, I can tell you that
these messages are normal, at least for us.  I was told it had something
to do with the order that Outlook closes connections, but I'm not
positive about that.  I don't think I've seen any messages like this
from Thunderbird clients.