charles uchu wrote:
> Sam Varshavchik wrote:
>
>> Gordon Messmer writes:
>>

>>> It's come up before that "aliased" hosteddomains sometimes don't do
>>> what users expect them to.  The man page for "makehosteddomains"
>>> indicates that if "mail.domain.com" is aliased to "domain.com", then
>>> an address of the form <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> will be rewritten as
>>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and delivered to the local mailbox for that
>>> name. The consequence seems to be that if <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> is an
>>> alias, delivery fails.
>>>
>> Define an alias for [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>>

> Sam and Gordon,
>
> I think it is understood that based on the current code in courier that,
> even if there is an aliased domain set in hosteddomains, that you must
> again explicitly state this aliasing in the aliases file for addresses
> that are not mailboxes.
To cut down on the confusion, I always recommend creating a hosted
domain, and then create actual mailboxes for each alias I want to
create. In it I create a .courier file to forward the mail where ever I
want it to go.  The ONLY aliases I create in the global alias file are
those required by the system (like root, postmaster, etc).

It's a little extra work, but in the end, I opt for simplicity and
maintainability.  And it's very easy to script with bash...