Gordon Messmer wrote:
Wayne Pascoe wrote:
On Wed, April 18, 2007 12:12 pm, Jay Lee wrote:
Did you try installing the redhat-rpm-config RPM yet?  Sam (the main
developer of Courier) has previously recommended that to a person having
an identical issue on FC5 and it resolved the problem.
Heh - I just tried that :) Not sure if my previous message made it to the
list or not, but installing that has solved the problem.

I have also submitted a patch to Sam that includes redhat-rpm-config as a
dependency for the build.

It'd be nice to see this in the FAQ, but don't think it can be made a standard "BuildRequires" item. It's not available for CentOS 5 x86, (and I assume RHEL 5 x86). I'm not sure under what situations it is available and required.

Looks to me like CentOS, Fedora and RHEL all have redhat-rpm-config:

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/6/i386/os/Fedora/RPMS/redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-6.noarch.rpm
http://mirrors.kernel.org/centos/5.0/os/i386/CentOS/redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-17.el5.centos.noarch.rpm
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Client/en/os/SRPMS/redhat-rpm-config-8.0.45-17.el5.src.rpm

SUSE and Mandrake might not have it but I believe their deps are already broken anyways for the courier.spec anyway. I could be wrong though, I haven't used either of them in quite awhile.

The package generally includes all files in /usr/lib/rpm/redhat which rpmbuild looks at for macros and rc files after looking for the files in /usr/lib/rpm. I believe the purpose is to allow distribution specific options to be passed to rpmbuild. rpmbuild will work fine if all the variables courier.spec uses are defined in the /usr/lib/rpm files but if they're not (as is the case in CentOS5) then the build will fail.

Jay