Bernd Plagge writes:

What happened is that a mail could not be sent but was rejected with a
message "greylisting in action - come back in 5 min".
Reading the documentation it seems that /etc/courier/enablefiltering
controls
what mail is filtered. This file contains just the standard "esmtp"
entry.
Therefore I was assuming that mail from local users (including hosted
domains) is not filtered. (I think that Squirrelmail submits mail via
PHP). Is that not correct?

That depends on what Squirrelmail does to send mail. If it takes the reasonably approach - running the sendmail command - then this is locally originated mail, and no filtering should occur. If it does the silly approach - connecting to the server's port 25 and talking SMTP, well, you figure it out.

I check /etc/courier/imapd and enabled the "Outbox" function. As mail
is submitted to directly to Courier (via sendmail) no error message
should be returned.
Is that assumption correct?

The mail is sent but stays in the "Outbox" folder. Is this a feature?

Yes, and yes.