Hi,

I'm fed up with mailboxes that are small and get big messages and then
have that big message in the mailq and blocking other messages.

In archive there was proposition of patch which sounds like a one way to
solve this. But the way it is solved courier, not delivering the first
and blocking the others makes this problem worse! Now the user don't get
quota warning message nor the big message and courier is blocking the
delivery of everything else!

http://www.mail-archive.com/courier-i...@lists.sourceforge.net/msg00315.html

That patch would have delivered that one big message breaking the
quota but I think it would also warned the user about the quota limit.

Other way to solve this would be just to get a quota warning or info
message to user. But ok, maildirsize says that well the user has plenty
of room in the maildir. So cannot really parse maildirsize files to
determine which users have a problem.

Parsing mailq and determining quota overs from it seems nasty solution.

Grepping the maillog for "maildir over quota" seems also a nasty
solution as there can be old and useless warnings and the situation
is already resolved. But how to check is that resolved as the
maildirsize cannot tell it.

One which would help a little would be option to tell maildrop that warn
when the mailbox has less than X megabytes of room. But there
aren't option for that. And of course that has problems if the mailbox
is small or really big. It should have the size and percentage both to
be little bit usefull. Like if mailbox has under 20 megabytes of room OR
mailbox is 50% full (and the free space is lower than given 20
megabytes). But this would just help and isn't really a solution.

Courier should when noticing "maildir over quota" to send quotawarnmsg
which it now doesn't do.

Or is there some solution to this problem which I have missed?

--
Yhteistyöterveisin,
Jani Ollikainen @ Pronetko Networks Oy