On 17.01.11 08:53, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Explain how you were able to tell the difference previously. You couldn't.

I don't matter, all people with access to the logs here were able to get
to customers' passwords different way.

>> I know about potential security problems about revealed passwords, but I
>> would like to know when an attack is done against users' passwords
>
> No. Previously, only some opaque encoded blob was logged, whatever its
> contents were.

aha. yes, in such case it's useless. I wanted to ask this about SMTP
authentication (logging more than just "auth failed") some time ago.

> Furthermore, there is no substantial difference. Look for failed AUTH
> errors. I see no difference between whether there's userid guessing or
> password guessing going on. Both the requested userid and password is
> collected at the same time. Either they are accepted, or they're not.

yes, but it can be useful to know in cases it's password guessing...

I intend to live forever - so far so good.