On 24/Feb/11 22:23, Carlos Lopez wrote:
>> The Kernel lacks support of  "Deep Packet Inspection"...  With DPI
>> you can do all dirty tricks to leave crackers out of the box/net.
>
> It is true that the main kernel does not support it, but there are
> many commercial vendors that are open sourcing their products in a
> way to be on the Open Source arena, read this article from the
> internet:
>
> http://www.linux.com/news/enterprise/networking/44079-deep-packet-inspection-engine-goes-open-source

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that

1. The Linux kernel, via iptables, supports inspecting _any_ value in
a filtered packet.  If tougher inspection is required, the packet can
be passed to a userspace daemon using netfilter (which OpenDPI
apparently can also do.)

2. OpenDPI software is involved in classifying protocols and
applications, which is not much relevant for SMTP/IMAP/POP
authentication, as we know both the protocol and the application already.

3. After TLS handshake, OpenDPI filters are not able to know the
details of the communication.  (In principle, knowing the server's key
and having traced the handshake, it should be possible to decrypt
packets content.  The closed-source version "ipoque" is claimed to be
"able to detect encrypted or obfuscated protocols as well", and this
may be what they mean.)

4. Still, failed authentication attempts from crackers look exactly
like legitimate ones, except for their amount.  Tracking them
correctly implies knowledge of the users database (in addition to the
server's keys), hence it is much much harder to do it using an
external tool.