Heiko Schlittermann writes:

If I understood the exim implementation, it just removed and that's it.
The quota for a later recreation comes from the configuration file.

Having no quota for a limited frame of time would be no problem, but
loosing the quota at all, definitivly is a problem.

Since exim is the one that's removing the file, and exim is the one that's doing the delivery, then after removing the file the next delivery attempt will result in exim recalculate the quota, from scratch.

There's nothing wrong with that approach.

Ok, if I understand well, Courier always relies on an existing quota
file and never ever will exit w/o creating a new one. But if no quota
file is found, no quota will apply.

The userdb option quota is not used at all, is it?

It's "there" to be used. The standalone build of maildrop, if the courier- authlib hook is used, maildrop should end up retrieving the set quota from courier-authlib. The fallback is to use MAILDIRQUOTA from the environment.

Courier itself will use the quota, whether it comes from userdb or from somewhere else. If Courier runs an external mail delivery agent, it sets MAILDIRQUOTA and leaves it up to the external mail delivery agent to use it.