Bowie Bailey writes:

On 3/17/2011 8:20 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

> The only exception would be, perhaps, the aliases/system and the
> smtpaccess/default files. They get always installed afresh, so all
> your site settings should go into a different file; but that should be
> obvious.

Are you sure about that?  I have custom settings in both of those files
and I have not seen them changed with any of the updates.  Also, the
install documentation on the website has instructions on customizing
those files.

Manually installing using 'make install', you're right. I was describing the behavior of my RPM packages.