I've been getting the dreaded 556 error occasionally for an address on our
server (sa...@justcroft.com), and I can't quite diagnose the problem.

The address points to a couriermlm list, and normally goes fine, then every so
often the BSS kicks in and customers complain they can't reach the address - it
is the main point of contact for most of our customers, so pretty critical for
our business.

The problem is, I can't see any evidence of an error delivering to that address
which might be sparking off the BSS. Given that it's a list, would a failed
delivery to one of the list addresses do that?

To try and work around the problem and ensure that delivery still happens, I
have set

opt BOFHSUPPRESSBACKSCATTER=none

in bofh, although I stil have

ESMTP_BLOCKBACKSCATTER=smtp/dsn

in courierd - is that 'safe' (i.e. it won't get my server blacklisted...) ?
And will it switch off the 556 messages? That's how I read the manual, but I
might be wrong...

Cheers
Pete
--
Peter Ford, Developer                 phone: 01580 893333 fax: 01580 893399
Justcroft International Ltd.                              www.justcroft.com