Mark Constable writes:

On 2011-07-17 07:04 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> > /etc/courier/aliases/system:@qtmoz.org: ad...@renta.net  <---
> > I'm not sure where the "loops back to myself" comes from or the
> > ad...@renta.net-ma...@smtp.renta.net construction?
>
> Virtual @domain addresses get written using 'me' for the domain. If
> you do not have 'me', the results of gethostname get used instead.
> That's where smtp.renta.net comes from.  From the makealiases page:

So to avoid the "loops back to myself" error I may need to put just
renta.net in /etc/courier/me rather than the FQDN of smtp.renta.net.

Maybe.

To avoid confusion, the following rule of thumb applies:

Any domain with an A or an MX record that resolves to any IP address on a machine, should be listed either in locals, hosteddomains, or esmtpacceptmailfor, whatever the case may be. Alternatively, the domain may not be listed in any of these three, but then a list of aliases must be specified for each valid email address in that domain. A virtual domain alias meets this requirement. In your case that's @qtmoz.org

But then the second part of the rule of thumb is that one of the domains listed in locals or hosteddomains needs to be identified as the machine's primary domain, and either set as the hostname, or given in the me file.

This is the part that you're probably missing. You only have "localhost" listed in locals. Whatever you put in me, needs to be in locals or hosteddomains, too.

Additionally, the virtual domain alias should specify just the name of the local mailbox, "admin".

Okay I get most of that except the foo=markc bit. Where does this part
of courier pick up the "markc" part? Oh, from the LHS of the incoming
mail. So spam to various users @qtmoz.org will go to different
destinations. Hmm, I'm definitely confused.

Perhaps I should simply ask how do I best redirect all incoming mail for
a virtual domain (qtmoz.org in this case) into a single local mailbox?

A virtual domain alias is the first step. The second step is to install a .courier-default in admin's account. What it all boils down to is that you're aliasing u...@qtmoz.org to the address "admin-user".

Install a .courier-default in admin's home directory to put all mail for any user into the same mailbox.

That's what webadmin does, when that option is selected for a domain.