On 04/24/2013 01:00 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:

>> The users are in LDAP, they all have different uidNumber:gidNumber
>> and imapd spawns an instance under each user's uidNumber. Gamin
>> however requires the LDAP users to be visible to the system, and
>> mine were not.

> Ok, so basically the IMAP server was getting started under a userid that's
> not known to the system.

Yes, sort of. The first imapd process is started as root by
/etc/rc.d/init.d/imapd and then it spawns children for every
user with an UID other than 0.

> Normally, when use LDAP, MySQL, or some other non-system module, with
> courier-authlib, they're set up to return the same userid for all accounts,
> which is also listed in passwd. That should work just fine, too.

It does, but placing all users under the same UID can only be
done on a pure vmail system with no other access for the users.
Then again, on such a system userdb would be a fully sufficient
solution and LDAP & cousins would be rather an overkill.

On more complex systems where users have access to more services
than just mail, LDAP & Co make sense but a single UID for all users
does not. That's where I typically run into the gamin problem and
the frustration sets in of users reporting error messages and logs
filling up.

Speaking about which, there is a short but very important notice
on the gamin homepage: "By default gamin revert to using polling
for all paths matching /mnt/* or /media/* on Linux". Redhat systems
do not provide an /etc/gamin/gaminrc file by default and vmail
directories are seldom placed on /mnt/ or /media/, hence this is
yet another trap that must be avoided:

http://people.gnome.org/~veillard/gamin/config.html
Need to write a configuration file.