On 2013-05-24 02:07, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Kristian Duus ￘stergaard writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> My smtp server is currently using identlookup and I think it is one
reason that
>> I don't receive a ton of Spam.
>>
>> Unfortunately some of my users receive mails from a domain that has a
very short
>> timeout and drops identlookups at the firewall, instead of rejecting
them. This
>> results in no mails coming through to my users from the domain in
question and
>> me getting asked how many other domains does this happen from. My own
>
> The success or failure of ident lookup has no effect on whether the
mail from the sender is accepted, or not. Has no impact, whatsoever.
> The only thing that ident lookup does is record some additional data
in mail headers.

> And, with each passing here, the value of ident lookups gets smaller,
and smaller. identd is only to be found on multiuser servers, which
haven't been exactly popular, in a long, long time.

> As others have stated, Courier will timeout on its ident query after
30 seconds. Legitimate mail servers will wait several minutes before
timing out.

> There's also some confusion here regarding when ident lookup matters.
>
> Courier makes an ident query when receiving mail. And Courier will
timeout after 30 seconds.

> When sending mail, Courier has no control over whether the remote mail
server issues its own ident query, Courier will wait 5 minutes for the
remote server's initial response, and that is configurable wth the
esmtptimeouthelo config setting.
No but in my case the problem comes from the combination that the
sending server has a timeout of less than 30 seconds AND drops the ident
packages making courier use the full timeout of 30 seconds.

--
Mvh.
Kristian Duus ￘stergaard