I seem to have found my final mail issues when I saw my mail queue had over
900 megs of mail backed up that looks like I was an open relay.

So if I understood Courier regarding being a relay and using
authentication.

 - Courier is not an open relay by default, meaning it will not send mail
for domains in does not listen for, unless you are authenticated.

So my system is just listening for nickellson.com, and I only want my
iPhone to be able to send mail as anything @nickellson.com, as well as the
local network itself.

The local network is easy, that is what the smtpaccess/default file is for.
10.0.0  allow,RELAYCLIENT

But if I want to insure that no one else can send mail through me, except
for my authenticated iPhone client, what setting am I looking for? It
almost seemed that I just leave the esmtpd on port 25 as is, with no
relaying, and start the smtpd-ssl daemon as auth required and get my iPhone
to use that? or can I stay with the one esmtpd?

Nick