On Thu 05/Sep/2013 04:12:14 +0200 Mark Constable wrote:

> Most of my other courier based servers do not have either python or perl
> installed (rpi, nas and small 128mb vps's) so would it be possible to do
> some shell scripted (or PHP) rate limiting for local filters?

Hm... Wouldn't you use a DB to keep track of the number of messages
sent by each user?

> I mean, is it even worth trying to spend time on a non-perl-python filter
> system or would it be a complete waste of time to attempt?
>
> Can C code be run as a local (or esmtp) filter?

When I started writing filters I used Sam's courier/filters/libfilter.
However, that library is not meant to be exported, so code based on it
may turn out to be hard to maintain.  Thus, I grabbed a copy of it and
renamed it filterlib.  Neither I maintain it as a library, but copy it
from one filter to the next.  Either "library" can be a good starting
point to roll out your own C filter.  My latest is here:

http://www.tana.it/svn/zdkimfilter/trunk/src/filterlib.h
http://www.tana.it/svn/zdkimfilter/trunk/src/filterlib.c

Happy coding!