A crazy thought on this issue... what if couriersmtp and friends were run
at the very lowest cpu and i/o priority possible, would that tend to
"naturally rate limit" courier in general?

The harder the whole mail system was hit the more it might naturally struggle
for resources and therefor "slow down" accordingly, maybe. Would something
like this make any difference and be feasible?...

ionice -c3 nice -n19 /usr/sbin/couriertcpd \
  -stderrlogger=/usr/sbin/courierlogger \
  -nodnslookup -noidentlookup -user=daemon -group=daemon \
  -etcetera

This "solution" doesn't have to be perfect (sounds like there are flaws in
any approach) and would not add any otherwise useless (to me) overhead to
the servers involved. It may not be worse than spewing 30k msgs an hour,
which holds up our legitimate mail, and if we do end up being blacklisted
then that really kills a significant proportion of our customer emails.