On 9/10/2014 6:01 PM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bowie Bailey writes:

>>> maildrop should be adding the From_ header only if it's delivering mail to
>>> an mbox mailbox. Actually, maildrop will also emit a From_ line if a
>> message
>>> is sent to an external filter via xfilter.
>>>
>>> I think the message is being filtered through an xfilter command. The
>>> command executed by xfilter emits an extra blank line before the contents
>> of
>>> the filtered message, and maildrop reads it back in, like that.
>> No xfilter on this system.  /etc/courier/maildroprc is doing nothing
>> other than importing a couple of variables.  The user's .mailfilter file
>> just has a couple of delivery lines.
>>
>> I see the From lines in emails delivered to my maildir as well. Here is
>> the one from the list message I'm replying to:
>>
>>   From courier-users-boun...@lists.sourceforge.net Tue Sep  9 19:46:35 2014
>>
>> There are actually two identical From lines in the message.  One was
>> apparently added by maildrop on the external server when it cc-ed it in
>> and the other was added by maildrop on the internal server when it
>> delivered to the maildir.
>>
>> Actually, I just noticed something looking back through my old emails.
>> The From lines are only there on messages newer than Jun 24.  This
>> corresponds to the date I upgraded the server from Courier 0.65.0 to
>> Courier 0.73.1.  The external server was upgraded from Courier 0.69.0 to
>> 0.73.1 just prior to that.  I can see that this server also started
>> adding the From line to the cc-ed emails at this time.  There must have
>> been something that caused this change in behavior between version
>> 0.69.0 and 0.73.1.
> I don't have any From_ lines in any message in my maildir.
>
> Something else is adding those, at some point before mail gets delivered.

A little more digging found preline in my default delivery
instructions.  I am using this to get the Delivered-To header.

DEFAULTDELIVERY="| /usr/lib/courier/bin/preline
/usr/lib/courier/bin/maildrop -w 90"

This seems to be what is adding the From_ header.  The header does not
appear if I remove the preline call.

Yes, I do realize that preline is expected to add a From_ header...

However, this is not a recent change -- it has been in place for years.
But the From_ headers only started appearing after I upgraded to
0.73.1.  Older messages only show the Delivered-To and Return-Path
headers.  Was there a change in preline?  Or perhaps maildrop was
previously removing the unnecessary From_ header and is no longer doing so?

--
Bowie