Hanno Böck writes:

Hi,

I recently tried to test the latest courier snapshots (due to the spf
fixes) on one of our servers, however it doesn't really work.

When I try to connect with openssl to the smtp-port (25) via starttls I
seem to get a connection, however it's instantly terminated.

I see this in the logs:
Sep 19 17:56:45 backup1 courieresmtpd: courieresmtpd: STARTTLS failed:
couriertls: /etc/ssl/private/courier.pem: error:0906D06C:PEM
routines:PEM_read_bio:no start line

I saw that just recently someone had the same error and it was caused
by Windows/DOS-style End of Line-Characters:
http://georgik.sinusgear.com/2014/07/24/couriertls-etccourieresmtpd-pem- error0906d06cpem-routinespem_read_biono-start-line/

However I checked, my cert/pem-file has no windows-eol-chars. Is there
anything else that has changed regarding cert parsing? It's just the
cert and the key concatenated, nothing special.

The certificate file is getting rejected by the OpenSSL library. That's where this error is coming from.

Try generating a self-signed file using the mkesmtpdcert script. If it works, then compare the general format of the file with what you have.