Harry Duncan writes:

I have checked, and mail delivery to the maildirs is easily intercepted using aliases, aliases take precedence over local user database, so I can setup an alias to send mail two directions one of which is the intended maildir and one of which is the archive maildir

Is there any similar way to catch a copy of smtp messages that are relayed through the server for these particular users?

There's a way to capture all messages sent through the server. This will capture all mail, incoming mail, and relayed mail, to all recipients, not just this one. See the description of the ARCHIVEDIR setting in the courierd config file.

But you could probably modify your archiving script to immediately purge mail you do not want to keep.