Sam Varshavchik writes:

Mark Constable writes:

I finally have a 0.76.0 ubuntu install to test and trying to get this to
work...

> - courier, courier-imap: add support for TLS SNI when Courier is built with OpenSSL.

I've added this vhost settings but no sign the LetsEncrypt certificate is
being delivered to Thunderbird.

~ ls -1 /etc/courier/*renta.net
defaultdomain.ded1649.renta.net
dsnfrom.ded1649.renta.net
esmtpd.pem.ded1649.renta.net -> ../ssl/ded1649.renta.net/mailserver.pem
imapd.pem.ded1649.renta.net -> ../ssl/ded1649.renta.net/mailserver.pem
vhost.ded1649.renta.net

../ssl/ded1649.renta.net/mailserver.pem does exist and the default one
for the canonical host does work okay.

Is there some other settings I am missing?

No, there are no other settings, presuming TLS_CERTFILE in imapd-ssl points to imapd.pem, and Thunderbird is configured with the given hostname.

A debugging tip.

Find the pid that's listening on localhost, then run strace on it. In my case it's pid 15018.

# strace -s 256 -f -o z -p 15018

Then, use couriertls like this:

TLS_TRUSTCERTS=/etc/pki/tls/cert.pem TLS_VERIFYPEER=none couriertls \
   -host=localhost -port=143 -protocol=imap -verify=localhost

Fedora installs all trusted certs in /etc/pki/tls/cert.pem; use the equivalent for Debian, Ubuntu, etc…

The connection attempt will fail to verify the "localhost" certificate, of course. That's fine. Then:

# grep imapd.pem z
2734 access("/usr/lib/courier-imap/share/imapd.pem.localhost", R_OK) = -1 ENOENT (No such file or directory)
2734  access("/usr/lib/courier-imap/share/imapd.pem", R_OK) = 0
2734  open("/usr/lib/courier-imap/share/imapd.pem", O_RDONLY) = 10

That shows that the server process tried to open imapd.pem.localhost, first.

There's a harmless debugging message there, that slipped by me, that I'll need to remove.