I have an outgoing email sitting in my mail queue due to a DNS failure,
but I can't figure out why it is failing.  When I test it manually, this
is what I see:

$ testmxlookup westportyachtsales.com
westportyachtsales.com: soft error.

$ dig @172.16.17.201 westportyachtsales.com mx +short
10 mail.westportshipyard.com.

$ dig @172.16.17.201 mail.westportshipyard.com +short
208.91.197.132

$ testmxlookup westportyachtsales.com
Domain westportyachtsales.com:
Relay: mail.westportshipyard.com, Priority: 10, Address:
::ffff:208.91.197.132

172.16.17.201 is the first DNS server listed in resolv.conf, which is
what Courier and testmxlookup should be using if I understand
correctly.  It also works if I query the second DNS sever manually. Now
that I've gotten a response, testmxlookup will work for a while, but
eventually it will start giving the soft error again for that domain.  I
am guessing that this is due to my DNS server caching the result, but
why would my manual queries succeed and testmxlookup fail the first
time?  The queries are both coming from the same user on the same machine.

--
Bowie