Lucio Crusca writes:

My Courier server hosts several virtual domains, and I'm trying to
configure a catch all address only for a few of the hosted domains. All
the mail accounts are listed in /etc/courier/userdb.

I've read dot-courier manpage, but I almost certainly got it wrong. To
my understanding, when the recipient cannot be found,
/etc/courier/aliasdir is the last resort and the file
/etc/courier/aliasdir/.courier-default is where I should put the catch
all rule.

Based on this description, you must be listing your virtual domains in the hosteddomains file, and using "makehostedomains".

This is documented in the makehosteddomains manual page: the address "alias@hosteddomain", with its own .courier files.