Thanks very much for your help.

You are correct, the different behavior was the result of differing
permissions on the home directories of my 2 users.

It looks like as long as the user courier runs as has "x" permission on a
users home directory, it will reject messages for a non-existent
user-extension@host during the SMTP exchange.  If the courier user cannot
read the home directory, the message will bounce after courier accepts the
message and attempts local delivery.  In retrospect, this makes sense, and
it turns out this is well documented int the dot-courier man pages.  It
just wasn't something I'd thought to check.

Best regards and thanks again,
-Fred