On Feb 16, 2010, at 2:08 PM, Tony Bacigalupo wrote:
> Serious stuff here. Let's take a step back for a second.

I agree with you in principle, but not as black & white.

Do you see the Open Source Initiative as harmful?  They did it in part to
control the branding of "open source" which is essentially what acquiring a
domain is about, branding.  This doesn't have to be able running a conference,
but it should be about branding, IMO.

When you get people with shared interest in an initiative together it works
when the number is small (see "Dunbar's number" as reference) but as the number
grows and new people come in without the crystal clear ethos of the original
members things turn to chaos without some way to manage it.  Sadly it's human
nature and wanting it to stay the same won't make it so.  Worse, someone who
does manage it well will be able to co-op the initiative (i.e. the exec suites
industry in this case) if it isn't managed by the existing thought leaders and
I'd put you, Alex, Tara and a lot of others online here in that group.

I don't know what the answer is, but I'm pretty sure the answer is not "do
nothing."  I also think we are all smart and capable people able to come up
with an answer that works well if we put our heads together on the matter.
Lead us.

-Mike Schinkel
Ignition Alley Atlanta Coworking
http://ignitionalley.com