Hi everyone: Just wanted to introduce myself as a new potential coworking catalyst. I’m interested in establishing a space in Claremont, California, a wonderful college town at the eastern edge of Los Angeles County. The downtown “Village” area is ripe for a new coworking space, with public transit links to Los Angeles, Pasadena, and the Inland Empire; a walkable and bike-friendly layout; lots of cafes, restaurants, and services; close proximity to the Claremont Colleges (Pitzer, Scripps, Pomona, Claremont McKenna, and Harvey Mudd), and many attractive buildings with vacant commercial and office spaces.
Most of my professional experience, including my current day job, is in the environmental policy area–both government and academic. Therefore, I have a lot to learn about running a small business and addressing the needs of coworkers in less institutional careers. On the other hand, I do have a strong background in the ins and outs of sustainability. I am drawn to this project as a committed telecommuter, strongly supported by my agency employers, but constrained by an imperfect work-at-home setup. I am also a newly minted Ph.D. looking for a new project to lose sleep over. :) I envision a hybrid space with both offices and a communal environment, and perhaps one or two conference rooms. If possible, I’d ideally like to offer discounts for community and environmental nonprofit groups. The space will probably start small and develop on a “grow as we go” basis, since I do not (yet) have much startup capital to work with! Anyway, I’ll be monitoring this group with interest, and coming back with lots of questions. Looking forward to talking with you all. Best, Francisco “Let him who cannot be alone beware of community… Let him who is not in community beware of being alone.” –Dietrich Bonhoeffer, Life Together (New York: Harper & Row, 1954), 77. -- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group. To post to this group, send email to [email protected]. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to [email protected]. For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/coworking?hl=en.

