I just wanted to chime in as a coworker to give a little perspective
from the other side...

Before freelancing I worked at an internet startup, where we were
supposed to be casual and awesome and independent. We had a kitchen
situation that was "everyone's responsibility" but inevitably, this
meant that people always assumed someone else would unload the
dishwasher or take out the recycling. You can't really blame us,
because when the day was full of frantic work (as is often the case at
a startup) we all had more important things to do than dishes. Besides
we all had dishes waiting at home.

Because the community manager at my space (Hi Angel!) doesn't require
us to pitch in on these chore-type tasks, we've been able to avoid all
the reminder notes and awkward scoldings about picking up after
ourselves that I hated about working in an office. This is not to say
that we're all slobs and expect to be cleaned up after. In fact, I'm
even more aware of how I treat the surroundings at Cohere, because I
know that someone has been kind enough to make sure they were clean/
stocked etc. This has created a genuine sense of pride in our
community. Members are more than willing to jump in and lend a hand
when needed, or when someone new shows up, because we're excited to
show it off :)

Basically, I think that if you do it right, the team attitude will
evolve organically, and that sense of community will ensure everything
is taken care of--even if the community manager takes a day off.

Beth
@gonecoworking