We use a Google group at Workantile, but are looking for another solution
due to difficulties with group member management and other shortcomings. It
gets used extensively by the membership. We played around with irc, but
only the nerdiest of the nerds used it and I don't think it is used much
anymore if at all.

Our Thursday social lunches is where a lot of informal communication
happens. We have one member who seems to come in only for the Thursday
lunches.

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 10:03 PM, Alex Hillman <dangerouslyawes...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> - We use Hipchat at Indy Hall, it's pretty popular for daily banter and
> people who aren't in for the day to keep in touch.
> - We use/abuse Basecamp for our message board. That's being replaced soon
> with a homebrew solution. The key here, of course, is that email is the
> common denominator no matter how many social tools are built.
> - We used GroupMe when ~20 of our members were in Austin together for
> SXSW. It was awesome, but it limits groups to 25 people IIRC.
>
> -Alex
>

> /ah
> indyhall.org
> coworking in philadelphia
>

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 6:26 PM, Ryan L. Cross <rcr...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've seen one or two other posts that somewhat addressed this, but they
>> weren't directly related to the topic.
>>
>> I'm curious to hear what tools you have in place for communication
>> between members. We're currently using three:
>>
>> GroupMe: Immediately reaching the group - members are asked to be very
>> respectful and use it only when necessary as to not spam everyone. Free!
>> Campfire (just moved from Jaconda) - Chat room for every day use. Quite
>> expensive, but quality. Mobile access, etc.
>> Google Groups - for longer term communication.
>>
>> I'm asking because while we once were very active in communication
>> through these tools, thing seem to have been cooling down lately (after a
>> year and a half). There's not much activity in these channels. I'm asking
>> about this partly to see if anyone else has a solution that might be a tad
>> more engaging and partly out of morbid curiosity.

>  --

twb
member, Workantile <http://workantile.com/>
@twbrandt