I have my own take on Yahoo and telecommuting. FYI...I opened AltamontCowork in 2009 to get cars off the road (that did not work), and I co-wrote the first telecommuting plan at Lawrence Livermore National Lab in 1990 or so....so telecommuting is a hot button for me.
http://altamontcowork.wordpress.com/category/telecommuting/ Mike #telecommuting = #coworking = #telework except at #Yahoo On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 4:33 AM, Will Bennis, Locus Workspace < [email protected]> wrote: > Thanks, Lars! > > I think the Times piece about Yahoo and other companies ending their > telework programs is interesting and important. Certainly puts a wrench in > the spokes of the easy pitch to companies that they should consider > coworking in part because of the benefits of flex-time and telework > programs that I thought were being overwhelmingly embraced. > > Of course, we can argue that coworking overcomes the shortcomings of > working from home, because the social and collaborative elements are still > there. That said, I don't think that argument is entirely valid when it's > being addressed to companies that have collaborative team projects. > > We've lost members who have moved to the office of their employer because > collaborating on projects over the internet with occasional face-to-face > meetings just isn't as good as working in physical proximity with your > team. And I think they were making the right move. > > Will > > Of course, we can counter, "But coworking has the productivity benefits > that working from > > > On Wednesday, February 27, 2013 5:55:53 PM UTC+1, lhtorres wrote: >> >> The New York Times carried a recent piece about Yahoo! efforts to bring >> its flextime workers back in to the office. At the same time, FastCo has a >> new piece out showing that businesses are looking to coworking as a >> solution to productivity and encouraging professional interaction beyond >> the workplace. >> >> I'm curious, does anyone have data about whether coworking is good for >> innovation? Theory suggests it is (create density and the opportunity for >> important adjacent ideas to find each other) but I wonder whether there's >> any "proof"? I think this would be good information to have. >> >> New York Times article describing how, why Yahoo! is reining in its >> homeworkers: >> http://www.nytimes.com/2013/**02/26/technology/yahoo-orders-** >> home-workers-back-to-the-**office.html<http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/26/technology/yahoo-orders-home-workers-back-to-the-office.html> >> >> FastCompany article on coworking: >> http://www.fastcompany.com/**3004915/coworking-nextspace<http://www.fastcompany.com/3004915/coworking-nextspace> >> >> --- >> Lars Hasselblad Torres >> local64.com | create + play + share >> >> Snag our weekly newsletter here: http://ow.ly/gRyRo >> >> @local64vt | 802-595-0605 >> >> -- > Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com > --- > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups > "Coworking" group. > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an > email to [email protected]. > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out. > > > -- Mike Pihlman Substitute Teacher: Jefferson and TUSD AltamontCowork / ForCarol.com, Inc. 95 W. 11th Street, Suite 205 Tracy, CA 95376 Phone: 209-757-8862 Web: http://AltamontCowork.com <http://altamontcowork.com/> Twitter: @AltamontCowork Facebook: http://Facebook.com/AltamontCowork<http://facebook.com/AltamontCowork> Drive Safe! Never Forget http://ForCarol.com <http://forcarol.com/> -- Visit this forum on the web at http://discuss.coworking.com --- You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Coworking" group. To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to [email protected]. For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.

