I agree with Miroslav on this I have to say.

I have indeed onboarded people in direct competition with my existing
coworkers.  I have done this in collaboration and conversation with the
existing coworker adn the onboarding coworker, and whatever boundaries
people felt were called for were developed in that conversation.

I have also found out later that we had onboarded someone in direct
competition with an existing coworker, and then had that conversation
later. We are not a thematically limited space so I do not necessarily know
enough about the market in which my coworkers are busy, to know that a new
coworker might be problematic.

I am curious what the new coworker has to say about it: if it is a problem
for you then it seems to me it is also a problem for them.