I'm a huge, huge, huge fan of Unifi:
<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Funifi-sdn.ubnt.com/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>
https://unifi-sdn.ubnt
<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Funifi-sdn.ubnt/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>.
com

I get no commissions, no payments, for these endorsements. I've just been
through SO MUCH PAIN getting this right that I want to save others from the
journey I've been on.

Unifi is hands down the best value on the market today (I included prices
below), PLUS the easiest to set up and configure of the commercial-grade
options. I've been able to teach relatively non-technical teammates and
members how to do basic on-premises diagnostics, which is pretty crucial
when you've got that many people coming through *any* wifi enabled
environment on their own devices of all kinds.

You don't have to buy through a fancy distributor - you can buy online
(Amazon has them available next day shipping in the US, YMMV). There's no
additional software or licensing fees. The closest comparable options
(Meraki) cost a lot more per device, PLUS annual fee just for their cloud
management software. Unifi has their own (free) cloud management software
that you can either run on your own cloud hosting (on a $5-10/month server)
OR using the "cloud key" device, which I recommend after recently switching
to it from managing the software on AWS.

That's a lot of wins, and they managed to tick every box.

For the configuration you described (which sounds about right for your
space), here's what I'd do. All of my product links are to US Amazon pages
(no affiliate links), but you can search out the same model numbers
elsewhere:

   - *3x Access points - Unifi AP Pro

<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FUbiquiti-Networks-802-11ac-Dual-Radio-UAP-AC-PRO-US%2Fdp%2FB015PRO512%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fs%3Delectronics%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1521582091%26sr%3D1-1%26keywords%3Dunifi%2Bap%2Bpro/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>.
   *$486 USD. These are good for ~30-40 simultaneous devices each. Without
   knowing your space layout and materials, 3 of these is very likely enough
   for 90 concurrent devices. These devices are fast, too. There are more
   hardcore versions that handle more throughput (and cost more $$$), but for
   coworking usage I'd rather just point high-bandwidth users to plugging into
   ethernet.
   - *1x Router - *Unifi Security Gateway

<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FUbiquiti-Unifi-Security-Gateway-USG%2Fdp%2FB00LV8YZLK/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>.
   $113 USD. There's a pro version of this, but it'd be overkill for you.
   We're running this exact device to support 3x as many people as you'll ever
   have on your network and it's super fast and reliable. Best router I've
   ever owned.
   - *1x Switch for ethernet - Unifi 16 port PoE switch

<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FUbiquiti-Networks-US-16-150W-UniFi-Switch%2Fdp%2FB01E46ATQ0%2Fref%3Dsr_1_4%3Fs%3Delectronics%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1521582522%26sr%3D1-4%26keywords%3Dunifi%2Bpoe%2Bswitch/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>.
   *$298 USD. This switch is managed (I'l get more into that in a second)
   AND provides Power over Ethernet, which means that your access points won't
   need a separate power source. You just plug them into the ethernet, and
   then the ethernet into the switch. Boom, power.

   *Note: I don't know how many hard lines you plan to run for your space
   but you might want to consider the 24 port version of this, considering
   that you'll lose 3 ports to your access points and 1 more to the router,
   bringing you down from 16 to just 12 usable ports before you even get
   started. 11 ports if you go with the Cloud Key (which you should).
   Alternatively, it's easy to start here and add a second switch later. *
   - *1x Unifi Cloud Key

<https://mltrk.io/link/https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FUbiquiti-Unifi-Cloud-Key-Control%2Fdp%2FB017T2QB22%2Fref%3Dsr_1_1%3Fs%3Delectronics%26ie%3DUTF8%26qid%3D1521582750%26sr%3D1-1%26keywords%3Dunifi%2Bcloud%2Bkey/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>.
   *$76 USD. This is basically the "brain" for the whole setup.

That's less than $1000 USD for the most robust network you can possibly
install for anywhere near that price point. As you grow, you only need to
add switches and access points as needed.

Now, the Cloud Key is the magic, and here's why: it's basically a tiny
computer that JUST runs the Unifi controller software, and is powered by
the PoE on your network. It handles software/firmware updates with a click
of a button. And best of all, you can link (for free) to a Unifi cloud
account that gives you access to diagnostics, reporting, and even tools to
configure and fix network issues from anywhere...including on your mobile
phone. It's amazing.

It all works because all of the access points look back to the Cloud Key
controller software for instructions and configuration. The Cloud Key makes
real time adjustments to wifi performance based on usage and environment
conditions. Basically, with the brain behind the devices, it "just works"
better than ANY network I've maintained, coworking or otherwise. And when
something is wrong (which is going to happen with any network, but is more
rare with Unifi than any other setup we've tried), the diagnostics tools
are great.

The controller also handles things like captive portal and guest networks.
It can hook into RADIUS servers for authentication, if you need it. It has
robust firewall configuration options if you need it. It does VLANs very
easily. It does simple traffic shaping (one check box for improved
performance for everybody). And the controller has a robust API for reading
stats and configurations, if you want to get fancy and build your own
tools. It probably does more than you'll EVER need it to do, to be honest.

The setup *can* be a bit of a learning curve if you're not familiar with
networking...but if you *are* familiar with networking it's easy to learn.
My background is in computer networks so 100% of what I know about Unifi I
learned through reading forums and watching youtube videos. *If that's not
you, *Unifi is a big enough name that you should be able to find a local
network consultant who can help you get things set up and potentially offer
a monitoring/support service as well.

Hope this helps anybody trying to figure this out for the first time, and
anybody frustrated with (or sick of paying out the nose for!) with your
network.

-Alex

P.S. Coworking Membership Platforms: has anybody built a direct integration
with the Unifi's captive portal? If you're interested in doing so, hit me
up. I have notes for you :)

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 7:29 AM, Ramesh Agarwal <notagar...@gmail.com
<https://mltrk.io/link/mailto%3Anotagarwal%40gmail.com/1lY50dPDlyspuSS5zRXW>