“If they are chosing you because you are the cheapest, the relationship is
based on exploitation and that's no way to start a relationship.”

100000% this. Nonprofits or not, people who want special treatment (startups
are notorious for this too) are not a healthy target for a sustainable
community or business.

If you’re already cheap and people won’t join unless they get a discount,
consider raising your rates so that you have something to discount ;)