Your milage may vary a bit depending on what your members *do* (e.g.
videographers use much more bandwidth than, say, almost anybody else!).

My rule of thumb is to buy the best internet connection you can afford + a
failover if it's possible. The two things to never skimp on are bandwidth
and coffee.

That said...

Two things that aren't obvious about coworking Internet usage (and how
bandwidth is just a tiny part of the equation) until you've had hundreds of
people piping through a shared connection every day:

*1) bandwidth is important, but latency is more important. *Without getting
super duper technical, latency is the speed that the network responds,
which is different from how fast files download.

MOST people spend a lot of their day clicking around the Internet, or using
internet connected apps. With some rare exceptions like game developers and
video editors, the files we move around in our daily work are relatively
small. Video and VOiP might seem like it uses a lot of bandwidth, but
overall it's quite small!

The problems happen when the *latency* is bad - everyone feels it because
clicking to load a page, or refresh email, or live typing on Google docs
etc feels like it has a lag. Our network (internal wireless + gigabit
ethernet) used to have a Comcast Business connection of 50mb down/10mb and
always had more than enough bandwidth for 120+ people working hard every
day. And that includes streaming videos, music, etc. *Normal* usage, even
with 100+ people on the network, rarely peaks above 30-40 megs down and
normally idles well below 10mbps.

*Where things go haywire is when latency goes up.* This can happen in our
network because wifi coverage is interrupted, or because our internet
provider is having issues, or most often because someone on the network is
uploading a huge file (offsite backup like a Dropbox sync or uploading a
video to YouTube) and our ISP starts to throttle latency because it thinks
something is wrong. *This took is FOREVER to figure out!*

We since switched to a much better local provider that gives us 250
down/150 up for a fraction of the cost, and our normal network latency
compared to comcast dropped by 70% (again, lower latency is better). It's a
rough experience to explain to people, and they don't care if it's latency
or speed they just want to work. So understanding that more speed without
an improvement in latency is important.

*2) the network itself is just as important as the Internet connection.*You
can check out my past post on speccing out a solid, reliable Unifi network
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/coworking/rJ7PBY_-Tko/deEmQ6wNBgAJ> for a
fraction of the price of anything else on the market.

As far as Comcast vs Verizon, I have had nothing but horrible horrible
horrible experiences with Comcast and will not ever give them a dime of my
money again. Verizon isn't a saintly corporation either, but I can't say
anything but good things about the FiOS service I have at my home and it
would perform perfectly at Indy Hall if I could get it there (which we
can't, sadly).

-Alex