Even when we were tiny (<1800 sq ft) we never required pre-scheduled usage,
and never have. We DO ask people to pre-schedule tours (though we won't
turn away a walk-in, we might ask them to hang out in our lounge until
we're done with something), but to come in and work I've seen it be an
unnecessary barrier in far too many cases.

Often people plan to come in, and their plans change. Sometimes, people
realize that they need a change of scenery.

Most people do the scheduling systems because they fear overbooking, but
when I ask, they've never actually experienced overbooking or even close to
it! And especially when you have a mix of alternative zones (including
lounge/kitchen type gathering spaces) there's always a backup for someone
to have a spot they could sit and work.

So instead of having people pre-register, the metric we monitor is the
daily average # of empty spots. And when that number begins to REGULARLY
get close to zero (for even the smallest spaces, I suggest when that number
gets anywhere near 2-3 empty spots), we start a waiting list for our
highest-usage flex membership options (in our case, that's a 3 day a week
plan). This means we stop adding new flex desk-users who are most likely to
come in often and take us to "zero spots left."

IMO, this metric is muuuuuuch more useful than "occupancy" which celebrates
100%. I never want our space to be 100% occupied, I want it to be
comfortably active and with available spots for someone to walk in
unexpectedly and have a great day. The easiest way to do that is to make
sure there is always at least 1 open seat, and design that into your space
& business model.

-Alex