**We are going to have to revert to the interpretation of the rules regarding pre-paddling as enforced in previous years, which means, any crew may boat in the mornings on thursday and friday at any time, so long as they are within the CUCBC rules, etc., before 8:45am**

The busy and/or disinterested please stop reading here!

The following is an explanation of why you have been receiving contradictory emails about this! The reason I originally wished to rule out all pre-paddles was as follows: I actually believe it is fairer not to allow any pre-paddles. Having a pre-paddle is a benefit (especially for crews in the first division of the day!), so if only certain crews were able to have one and others not then that would be unfair. This is the case for many crews as a direct result of the two boat rule. Particularly for larger colleges with multiple crews it is inevitably the case that some crews will not be able to have a pre-paddle whereas a direct competitor from a smaller college would be able to, simply because they have fewer boats entered. This would be unfair in my eyes. Further, with crews in a single category competing across a range of divisions, again some might be allowed a pre-paddle ahead of others based on their division, which is arbitrary in terms of the results. This was the premise upon which I based my original stance.

However. I foolishly partially conceded to the position set out in the email previous to this one, under request, but thus (unintentionally) ruined the logic set out above regarding negating the impact of the two boat rule. Furthermore, the CUCBC committee have quite rightly taken umbrage at my enforcing Fairbairns rules outside of the times of the regatta (although I'd note there is no reason in the rules why entrants cannot be asked to behave in a certain fashion outside of the racing times, in the interest of fairness or any other reason) and, in light of the original benefit of the rule change being ruined, it is obvious that the best course of action is to return to the original interpretation of the rules.

Once again, I must take full responsibility for this and I am very sorry for all the inconvenience I have caused you all. I hope everyone is looking forward to taking part in the regatta on thursday and friday! Please continue to send me requests r.e. the start order - I will continue to do my best to accommodate them! Happy paddling!

Best wishes,
Ben Gallant

Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2015

On 2015-11-29 16:13, B. Gallant, Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2015 wrote:
Dear all,

START ORDER:
Due to a general wish to give you all more time to peruse this and
ensure everything is as you would want it (I've had a lot of requests,
almost all of which I was happy to accommodate, but I'm sure I will
have forgotten one or two so please check - Sorry in advance!) I've
put together a provisional start order a couple of days earlier than I
promised. It can be found here:

http://jcbc.jesus.cam.ac.uk/old/fairbairns/start_order.php

As already mentioned, please please have a good look over this and
check that all your crews are where you expected. If you let me know
over the next couple of days I've made a silly mistake I'll happily
change it. If you let me know on the morning of the regatta I won't,
sorry.

PAYMENTS:
As this list is published before I originally promised, I have
generously included on it one or two crews who I've still to receive
payment from... You probably know who you are and there's probably a
good reason why you haven't paid, but I haven't heard it, so please
either pay immediately or let me know why immediately, thank you.

PRE-PADDLING:
Now, this has become something of a contentious issue... I have told
several people who have contacted me that they may not pre-paddle on
the morning of either day of the regatta (not even seniors on novice
day), as this is clearly set out in the rules and regs. However. After
an animated discussion with my own men's captain this morning, I have
decided to partially waive this rule for this year only. To be clear:

***Having short outings (pre-paddles) the morning of the regatta day
upon which you are due to race (i.e. no seniors on novice day, please,
as the novices will be out), so long as you are back at your boathouse
by 08:30am at the latest, will now be allowed and will not lead to
disqualification. Please bear in mind, however, that both the hours of
darkness and the two boat rules are still in effect. Any crews found
downstream of the combined boathouses (Cantabs excluded) later than
08:30am will be subject to the same rules as usual.***

If anybody has any queries regarding any of this, please just let me
know! Although I'd gently request you to check on the website to see
if the information you require is on there (the 'News' section is a
good place to look!) before you contact me, please.

Best wishes,

Ben Gallant

JCBC Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2015