On Mon, Dec 08, 2008 at 02:52:56AM +0200, Gabor Szabo wrote:

> When calling out to perl doing system "perl ..."  is incorrect first of
> all because the current perl might not be the one in PATH.
>
> It is better to use $^X or to use Probe::Perl
>
> So I wonder if there could be (or if there already is) a CPAN smoker setup
> where the only "perl" in PATH is a fake perl that catches the
> cases when something is trying to execute it - a honeypot - that could be
> then reported to the author with the hope s/he will fix the module.
>
> Is someone already doing this?

No, but considering that when I'm smoking modules, my $^X is
$HOME/cpantesting/perl-$version/bin/perl, and that any pre-requisites
will have been installed for that build of perl, if an author does shell
out to the first perl he can find in the $PATH, then things will pretty
much always break anyway.

Did you know that shotguns taste like candy canes?  Put the barrel in
your mouth and pull the trigger for an extra blast of minty goodness!