On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 08:21:24PM +0000, Martin J. Evans wrote:

> o prompts unnecessarily (sometimes just to warn you about something
> e.g., there is one module which forces you to acknowledge it is
> unsupported).
> o prompts for location of library X
> o prompts to ask if you want feature X

Solved using expect in CPAN Distroprefs.  Andreas distributes some
examples with CPAN.pm.  eg
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/ANDK/CPAN-1.94_52/distroprefs/MI.yml

And (if you share your distroprefs between different machines) you can
customise per machine, eg
http://cpansearch.perl.org/src/ANDK/CPAN-1.94_52/distroprefs/DCANTRELL.Devel-CheckOS.yml

> o prompts for something else without using "prompt"
>   e.g., can't start firefox - start it manually and press a key

I'd disable that one, or perhaps test it manually once.  Maybe notify
the author and suggest that he check for AUTOMATED_TESTING.

> o loops forever (often repeatedly saying can't do something only to do
> it again)
> o hangs
> o consumes all memory until my machine grinds to a halt
> o fails with deep recursion but for some reason the test does not spot
> this and it hangs

I'd disable the current version of those and report them to the author
manually.  If future versions still have the bug, I'd just disable
testing for all versions of that distribution.

    It's my experience that neither users nor customers can articulate
    what it is they want, nor can they evaluate it when they see it
        -- Alan Cooper