I have completed a new Metabase API that will remove our need for Amazon
SimpleDB (and all the associated costs and problems). This API is available on
the main CPAN Testers server under a new domain:
http://metabase-beta.cpantesters.org <http://metabase-beta.cpantesters.org/>.
It should work exactly as the existing Metabase API (currently available at
http://metabase.cpantesters.org <http://metabase.cpantesters.org/>), but
instead save test reports to the CPAN Testers MySQL database (which has
replication and failover and has been graciously donated by my employer,
ServerCentral).

This new API also converts the test report to a new, expanded format. The new
format allows submitting richer data in test reports to help in diagnosing
problems. Garu is presently working on the clients that will create these new,
richer test reports, and we will have more information when the clients are
available.

Before the new Metabase API can be released, I need some people to test it with
real data. During the Perl Toolchain Summit, BinGOS temporarily pointed a few
of his testers at it, and it worked perfectly, but that's one tester with one
reporter version (and we have dozens of testers and lots of reporter versions).
If you're running a tester, could you update your configuration to point to
http://metabase-beta.cpantesters.org/api/v1 and send in a few reports to make
sure they're accepted?

There's a couple more minor steps that need to be completed before this can go
live: I need to write a migration script to migrate all the data in the current
database, and Joel Berger is writing the new script that processes test reports
and derives all the other CPAN Testers data from them (the data that powers the
website and other various APIs).

Once all these steps are completed, if I do not get any bug reports or e-mails
about the new Metabase API, I will switch over the DNS to put it in production.
I'll write a blog post and update this mailing list when that happens so
everyone is notified and can be vigilant for issues.

Doug Bell
d...@preaction.me