Hi Doug,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge on this subject.  Lately, I have been
updating a disabled.yml (
https://github.com/itcharlie/cpan-testing-configs/blob/master/disabled.yml
) file on distros that break while installing them on Strawberry Perl in
Windows ( I am not bothering to look at the reasons why the modules are
failing to install ). After upgrading the server instance with 2 virtual
cpus and 5.5 gigs of ram , google cloud monitoring has stop yelling at me
with notifications to upgrade the server specs and CPAN::Reporter::Smoker
seems to be running a bit quicker now.

Since then I have set up 2 more servers to run CPAN tester reports for Perl
5.26  and 5.24 ( I am using this opportunity to learn how its done and hash
out the steps needed to setup a Smoker  on Windows )

I will review the documentation further and work on setting up some of
those commands.  Thank you for your time.

Charlie Gonzalez
(E) itchar...@gmail.com
Github Profile <https://github.com/itcharlie>

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 10:21 PM Doug Bell <d...@preaction.me> wrote:

> Hi! Thanks for helping with smoking CPAN modules!
>
> As far as I know, you've set up everything you can correctly. Running a
> tester can be troublesome, as you're finding out.
>
> As for having to hit Enter sometimes, I think that might be related to
> some settings for your CPAN client. You should go into the CPAN shell (type
> "cpan" and hit Enter) and enter the following commands:
>
> o conf auto_commit yes
> - This makes sure that every config change we make next will be
> automatically written
> o conf prerequisites_policy follow
> - This prevents needing to hit "Enter" to install prereqs
> o conf use_prompt_default yes
> - This prevents well-behaved modules from prompting you for input
> o conf halt_on_failure yes
> - This prevents installs from continuing if a prereq is missing
> o conf inactivity_timeout 3600
> - This causes the CPAN client to wait for an hour for a process to
> complete (including the tests) before giving up on it. The default is 0,
> which means to wait forever
>
> Documentation on these settings can be found here:
> https://perldoc.perl.org/CPAN/FirstTime.html
>
> I do not, myself, run a smoke tester, so if I've got something wrong, the
> long-time testers on this list should hopefully chime in.
>
> Doug Bell
> d...@preaction.me
>

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 10:43 PM, Charlie Gonzalez <itchar...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> Hello CPAN Testers,
>
> Today I managed to set up a CPAN Smoke tester running on Windows Server
> 2016  and Strawberry Perl 5.28.0  \o/  YAY!!!, but I did hit a few walls
> trying to get there.
>
> First I want to mention that the  CPAN Testers
> <https://qa.perl.org/cpan-testers/> page is concise and to the point.
> This page lead me to the CPAN Testers WIKI <http://wiki.cpantesters.org/>
> from which I went on to learn more about CPAN Testing at the  Quick Start
> <http://wiki.cpantesters.org/wiki/QuickStart> page.
>
> Please Note that I am using Google cloud to setup window server instances.
>
> In my first attempt, I installed CPAN::Reporter but had run into an issue
> where I was unable to install Data::UUID module  (
> https://github.com/rjbs/Data-UUID/issues/28 )
> this instance was then deleted due to the fact that I was not able to  RDP
> into the box ( The instance was 1 cpu and 3.3 gig ram server ).
>
> In my second attempt, I built another server ( with the same specs as the
> first attempt )  but this time I install CPAN::Reporter::Smoker and had the
> c:\tmp workaround setup that was noted in  (
> https://github.com/rjbs/Data-UUID/issues/24 ). I started the
> CPAN::Reporter::Smoker program but noticed that I didn't have any test
> results sent to metabase ( http://metabase.cpantesters.org/tail/log.txt -
> Thanks to Jim Keenan for this link and the troubleshooting help ). I
> didn't setup my metabase-profile so I found a link to install
> [...]
  • First Time CPAN... Charlie Gonzalez
    • Re: First ... Doug Bell
      • Re: Fi... Chris Marshall
      • Re: Fi... Charlie Gonzalez
        • Re... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
          • ... Charlie Gonzalez
            • ... Charlie Gonzalez
            • ... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss
          • ... David Cantrell
            • ... Charlie Gonzalez
    • Re: First ... Slaven Rezic
      • Re: Fi... Alceu Rodrigues de Freitas Junior via cpan-testers-discuss