Thanks for the info.  I had to read it a few times, but I have a better
idea on what modules I need to access the API.

I'm looking to see if anyone had previously looked for patterns of errors
across modules on a particular platform -- especially mswin32.  My thought
is that a patch on one module might help in patching many others.

 Has anyone done work along those lines previously?  If so, I have not seen
it.