* James E Keenan <jk...@verizon.net> [2013-12-29 14:05]:
> When I went to that page, I saw a box labelled "HTTPS clone URL" where
> I most often see "SSH clone URL".

Uhm yeah, GitHub defaults the clone URL to HTTPS everywhere you do not
have push access.

> I tried the following and did not succeed.
>
> $ git clone https://github.com/ap/opodhtml.git aristotle-opodhtml
> Initialized empty Git repository in
> /Users/jimk/gitwork/aristotle-opodhtml/.git/
> fatal: https://github.com/ap/opodhtml.git/info/refs download error -
> Protocol https not supported or disabled in libcurl
>
> I have available:
> $ git version
> git version 1.6.3.2
>
> Can you identify the problem

I wager it’s exactly what it says the problem is: the libcurl that your
Git is linked against does not support HTTPS.

> or enable clone via SSH?

It’s nothing I did and nothing I can do. There’s a little label saying
“You can clone with HTTPS, SSH, or Subversion” right below the little
box you’re copy-pasting from though. How about trying that?