* David Golden <x...@xdg.me> [2015-04-23 17:40]:
> [trying out this channel for toolchain discussions]

Not sure it’s the right venue for this level of discussion. It seems to
me more governance/admin-level. Then again looking back at the archives,
there have been quite specific technical discussions here before, so I’m
not sure quite where it falls.

> Please see https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=60340 for context.
>
> I think File::Temp needs to be able to work around File::Spec::Win32
> returning a non-writable directory.
>
> My proposal was to warn and fall back to ".".  That's a small breaking
> change, but I think doing something in a different place than
> requested is better than failing entirely.
>
> Alternatively, it needs to validate the Win32 response and throw an error
> early, before attempting to make the directory so that the error message is
> more informative.
>
> Thoughts?

Windows considers the current directory an implied part of %PATH%, has
no concept like the executable bit of Unixoid OSes, nor does it allow
unlinking files while they’re open. So I’d feel uncomfortable about just
unexpectedly dropping junk into the current directory, announced or not.
Therefore I’d tend toward the latter.

But someone with better instincts for Windows may be able to call this
bunk. Mostly I didn’t want to leave the question warnocked.

Regards,