All,

Currently in blead is a change that will begin breaking many CPAN installs.
This is a result of a non-default change to perl builds which removes . from
@INC. There is currently a separate proposal (
https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=130467
<https://rt.perl.org/Public/Bug/Display.html?id=130467> )being discussed to
remove . from @INC by default in 5.26.

More information on the impact of this can also be found here.
http://blogs.perl.org/users/todd_rinaldo/2016/11/how-removing-from-inc-is-about-to-break-cpan.html

<http://blogs.perl.org/users/todd_rinaldo/2016/11/how-removing-from-inc-is-about-to-break-cpan.html>

As I understand things, this is the closest thing to a mailing list for the
toolchain group, so I'm trying this list first.

In order to action RT 130467 without completely breaking CPAN, I propose the
following patches to CPAN install related modules to fix the problem:

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into the environment early in the following
clients. This assures that everything spawned by these clients gets . in @INC
during test/install.
CPAN
CPANPLUS
App::cpanminus

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into TAP::Harness to support ad-hoc use of
prove. (Leon is already working on this)

* Inject PERL_USE_UNSAFE_INC=1 into install modules to try to address as many
Makefile.PL missing . in @INC issues as possible:
ExtUtils::MakeMaker
Module::Build
Module::Build::Tiny

What at this point I feel is lacking is agreement and/or discussion that the
above is the correct approach to solving this problem.

If you are not for this plan and/or you are a maintainer of one of the above
mentioned packages, your response would be appreciated. We're running out of
time to complete this in time for perl 5.26.

Thanks,
Todd Rinaldo