On Wed, 20 Sep 2017 18:08:34 -0400
James E Keenan <jkee...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On 09/20/2017 06:01 PM, Neil Bowers wrote:
> > One thing we could do is have a tool looking at newly registered
> > package names and alert the PAUSE admins to have a look at any that
> > are a short edit distance from an existing package name.
>
> Would anyone know of any prior art for detection of "short edit
> distances"?  (Perhaps even already on CPAN?)

Isn't that just the Levenshtein distance?  So e.g.
Neil's Text::Levenshtein?

One thing I thing is good to consider is the fact that all CPAN releases
get announced on a quite populated IRC channel, increasing the chance of
someone spotting a release announcement and thinking "hmm, that looks
dodgy" - but that's of course not entirely reliable, and doesn't focus
only on new releases.