At 11:55 AM 4/25/01 -0400, Matthew Gaylor wrote:
>private efforts to create private networks, I don't think Mr. Crew
>has thought through the technical and political ramifications of his
>proposal.  Personally, while it requires great effort to stay and
>fight to keep the Internet free

Agreed.

If you choose to use DNS, that is your choice.  You can run your own
root DNS server and have all your friends include you in their list of
nameservers to try.  If you know others who do this, you can create a 'root'
index.  Heck, you can even call it .com, and depending on your
position in others' nameserver-list, you may be the resolver for that
famous TLD for some.

No 'privatization' necessary.  Just organization, and motivation.

Cf. a recent post by An Metet on Things That Need Doing
re private spaces.

State-enforced or state-backed private control of content is
either censorship or editing, and if editing, the bit traffickers
lose common-carrier innocence.