Jim Choate wrote:

> On Tue, 24 Apr 2001, Tim May wrote:
>
> > Again, just so. The laws about tape-recording conversations have no
> > basis in any moral theory I can support. If I choose to "gargoyle"
>
> Finaly an open and honest Tim May, he doesn't believe in self defence.
>
> I believe I can die happy now ;)

No, you're being clueless again.  I suspect that Tim is simply exerting
his belief that if you wish to record everything you see and hear, i.e.
gargoyle, you should be free to do so.  i.e. he's being his usual
anarchist self.  Not anarchist in the media sense of bomb throwing
insane clown terrorist, but rather, in the sense that one should only
answer to ones-self and do as is fit.

This is perfectly in line with what the entity known as Tim C. May has
previously stated.  Again, read carefully those three words that say
"If I chose to" - it's a rhethorical proposition.  It doesn't mean Tim
goes around in gargoyle gear.  It means he's stating his right to do
so, IF he chooses.

Those statements say NOTHING about whether or not the entity known as
Tim C. May believes in self defense.  Further more, recording or not
recording has NOTHING to do with self defense of any kind.

One may be recording everything in his suroundings to be used for his
one self defense later on.  For example, say Amadou Diallo, you know
the immigrant that ate a 41 bullet lunch a while back at the hands of
New York's finest, had a gargoyle suit on, it may have been used to
incriminate his attackers.

On the other hand, say there are cameras and other recorders in a
police vehicle.  They can be used for the self defense of New York's
Finest when someone they arrest claim that they were beaten and
abused.  Provided the accuser was at all times in view of the cameras
and WASN'T beaten, said "gargoyle" equipment would be used as self
defense by the alleged attackers to prove their innocense.

I chose to make this extra verbose so that this will sink in past the
Choate Prime barriers between your ears: Gargoying or not does no
imply self defense, nor offence.  It's simply a tool like any other.
Whether or not it causes privacy to be lost is simply a function of
how it's used.  And it still says nothing of Tim's beliefs.

In Choate Prime YMMV.

--
 + ^ + :Surveillance cameras|Passwords are like underwear. You don't /|\