                                      Ludwig Wittgenstein

       Austin, Tx               /:'///// ``::>/|/      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                           -====~~mm-'`-```-mm --'-
Title: Slashdot | Quantum Encryption Via Satellite

Welcome to Slashdot Announcements News Technology The Almighty Buck Intel
 faq
 code
 osdn
 awards
 privacy
 slashNET
 older stuff
 rob's page
 preferences
 submit story
 advertising
 supporters
 past polls
 topics
 about
 jobs
 hof

Sections
6/19
apache
6/29 (8)
askslashdot
6/28
books
6/29
bsd
6/29 (3)
developers
6/27
features
6/27
interviews
6/29
radio
6/28 (6)
science
6/29 (2)
yro
OSDN
freshmeat
Linux.com
SourceForge
ThinkGeek
Question
 Exchange

NewsForge
SlashCode

Quantum Encryption Via Satellite
Encryption Posted by michael on Friday June 29, @04:06PM
from the schroedinger's-email dept.
Jeff Scarpace writes: "The Economist is reporting that last week, at the International Conference on Quantum Information in Rochester, New York, physicists from the Los Alamos National Laboratories in New Mexico explained how to build a system that will broadcast uncrackable messages via satellite."

FreeBSD on DVD

Slashdot Login
Nickname:

Password:

Don't have an account yet? Go Create One. A user account will allow you to customize all these nutty little boxes, tailor the stories you see, as well as remember your comment viewing preferences.

Related Links
  • Jeff Scarpace
  • The Economist
  • broadcast uncrackable messages
  • More on Encryption
  • Also by michael
  • 'Quantum Encryption Via Satellite' | Login/Create an Account | 62 comments | Search Discussion
    Threshold: -1: 62 comments 0: 48 comments 1: 41 comments 2: 19 comments 3: 7 comments 4: 2 comments 5: 0 comments No Comments Threaded Nested Flat Oldest First Newest First Highest Scores First Oldest First (Ignore Threads) Newest First (Ignore Threads)
    The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whoever posted them. Slashdot is not responsible for what they say.
    Sounds great... (Score:1, Offtopic)
    by Dancin_Santa ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:10PM EST (#3)
    (User #265275 Info)
    But what is the practical usefulness of this outside of the military?

    Dancin Santa
    still subject to "human engineering" (Score:2, Insightful)
    by fetta on Friday June 29, @04:13PM EST (#5)
    (User #141344 Info)
    Sounds pretty slick, but wouldn't it still be vulnerable if "bob" or "alice" (from the example in the story) left their computer (or other communication device) where other people had access to it?
    To paraphrase Doctor Who (Score:2)
    by graveyhead (clayurn @ hotmail.com) on Friday June 29, @04:13PM EST (#6)
    (User #210996 Info)

    DW: I never cared much for the term "uncrackable", it seems a bit too much like "unsinkable".

    Brigadier: What's wrong with "unsinkable"?

    DW: "Nothing," said the iceberg to the Titanic [glug glug glug]

    Well, your fingers weave quick minarets; Speak in secret alphabets;
    I light another cigarette; Learn to forget
    Cracked... (Score:1)
    by VivianC ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:15PM EST (#9)
    (User #206472 Info)
    A cracked image for an H card was then posted on alt.hack.dtv and listed on eBay!

    Mmmmmm. Quantum Spice channel.

    Viv
    -----------
    "You are just a small cog on a small wheel that is attached to nothing."
    hmmm.... (Score:4, Insightful)
    by 3-State Bit on Friday June 29, @04:16PM EST (#11)
    (User #225583 Info)
    methinks I remember an unbreakable cryptosystem, also via satellite. This piece does not mention Professor Rabin.
    ~
    A bit is either on, off or nonexistent
    • Re:hmmm.... by wfaulk (Score:1) Friday June 29, @04:21PM EST
    • Re:hmmm.... by Avinoam (Score:1) Friday June 29, @04:44PM EST
    so... (Score:3, Funny)
    by JohnnyKnoxville on Friday June 29, @04:18PM EST (#18)
    (User #311956 Info)
    when aliens finally do intercept our transmissions they will think we all speak giberish.
    • Re:so... by cube farmer (Score:2) Friday June 29, @05:01PM EST
    A bit of clarification (Score:3, Informative)
    by TrumpetPower! on Friday June 29, @04:19PM EST (#19)
    (User #190615 Info) http://www.trumpetpower.com/

    The communication doesn't have to travel via satellite. The satellite is just used to exchange keys.

    Or, in other words, this solves the same problem as RSA and D-H key exchange techniques. Once both sides have agreed on keys, you could use carrier pigeons for the actual excrypted data transmission.

    b&

    The Economist? (Score:1)
    by HaeMaker (william at hae dot com) on Friday June 29, @04:25PM EST (#24)
    (User #221642 Info) http://www.hae.com
    Haardly a technical journal...

    Anyone have anything from a better source?
    Not New, but Important (Score:2, Informative)
    by qxjit on Friday June 29, @04:25PM EST (#25)
    (User #461981 Info)
    While this kind of quantum cryptograhy has been around for awhile, the article is correct in stating that such expiraments have only been done across wires until this point. The really neat thing about this is that it really is safe. These technologies do not rely on security through obscurity in any way. The key is sent quantumly, and cannot be intercepted without breaking the quantum entanglement of the particles. Once a secure key has been transmitted, it does need to be protected within the software, but that is much easier than protecting is as it flies through the air. The security of the key as it is transmitted is protected by the laws of physics, which is what makes this so secure. While there is no silver bullet to the problem at hand, this solves fundamental problem of keys being sniffed during transit without anyone knowing. From here there are a lot of other problems to solve, but its a big step toward secure transmissions in the open.
    So store and forward basicly becomes impossible. (Score:3, Insightful)
    by bons ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:25PM EST (#26)
    (User #119581 Info) http://www.nozen.com
    This means in order to be secure the message need to be beamed directly from the source to the receiver.

    Ok. So it's fine to authenticate the source of the transmission, assuming that you only care about the last machine to touch the transmission, but when the transmission passes through multiple machines you can't prove the original source from the data received at the destination. All you can do is hope all the previous connections are trustworthy.

    Now how many people here work with a technology that has NO store and forward capability?

    No Zen is good zen

    Two reasons why this isn't big (Score:4, Insightful)
    by Sheepdot ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:26PM EST (#27)
    (User #211478 Info) http://www.sheepdot.org
    There are two big problems I have with this "new" technology.

    1) It isn't anywhere near feasible for common use, nor cheap enough.

    2) We already have "pretty good privacy". It's not the best, but it is sufficient and now we need to work on the next big step: securing both ends.

    I think we've pretty much covered the encryption news to death and left out some of the big stuff, the compromising of a machine on either end of the communication.

    What good does a secure method of communication do when the website you are dealing with stores your credit card info in clear text databases on machines 4 different crackers have access too?

    What good is securing a transmission with a customer when their Windows box is already compromised by a Subseven server?

    I guess what my biggest beef with secure communication overkill like this is that we've already determined it is possible to secure a transmission. We haven't determined how to properly secure both the client and the server.

    Sheepdot.org - Finally free of the horror of owning the domain.
    Maybe im confused since IANAP (physicist) (Score:1)
    by qwerty823 (dem at chaostech dot com) on Friday June 29, @04:29PM EST (#29)
    (User #126234 Info)
    If Eve can't intercept the stream and recreate it verbatim back to Bob, then what kind of technology will this satelite have that can violate the laws of physics?
    Bruce Scheier comments on this (Score:2, Informative)
    by fuzzyjk (/. at exnext dot com) on Friday June 29, @04:31PM EST (#31)
    (User #84369 Info)
    Take a look at <A href="http://www.counterpane.com/crypto-gram-0103. html#6">the March Crypto-Gram</A>, where Bruce Schneier comments on the practicality of this.
    sorry to intrude on others' territory... (Score:1)
    by 3-State Bit on Friday June 29, @04:38PM EST (#36)
    (User #225583 Info)
    Shoeringer's cat, Meow, plus 128 more cats, Now we meow secure.
    ~
    A bit is either on, off or nonexistent
    Just a thought. (Score:1)
    by Avinoam ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:39PM EST (#38)
    (User #463509 Info)
    I wonder what aliens will think when they land and see the great efforts we take in hiding things from ourselves.
    Problem (Score:1)
    by return 42 on Friday June 29, @04:39PM EST (#39)
    (User #459012 Info)
    You'd have to trust the satellite, yes?
    • Re:Problem by phaktor (Score:1) Friday June 29, @05:05PM EST
    sorry to intrude on others' territory (Score:1)
    by 3-State Bit on Friday June 29, @04:43PM EST (#43)
    (User #225583 Info)
    Shrodinger's cat, Meow
    plus 128 more cats
    now we meow secure.
    ~
    A bit is either on, off or nonexistent
    The author (Score:1)
    by chompz ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) on Friday June 29, @04:45PM EST (#45)
    (User #180011 Info)
    of that obviously didn't know a thing about what he was writing about, in fact, why he pinned this to Los Alamos scientists is beyond me, a discussion of this occurs in most undergraduate QM classes.
    What a nice day...
    • Re:The author by jeffy124 (Score:1) Friday June 29, @04:57PM EST
    Quantum crypto to find NSA goons? (Score:3, Interesting)
    by corvi42 on Friday June 29, @04:49PM EST (#46)
    (User #235814 Info) http://www.silencegreys.com/memetic_labs/
    So this technique would allow you to know whether anyone was intercepting photons as they passed through a given medium. Has anyone thought of using this technique to positively identify whether anyone is really tapping underwater fiber optics like this old article suggested.

    It would be funny if the latest thing in crypto was able to catch the NSA with their pants down.

    There are a thousand forms of subversion, but few can equal the convenience and immediacy of a cream pie -Noel Godin

    Further Reading (Score:2, Informative)
    by Anne_Nonymous on Friday June 29, @04:49PM EST (#49)
    (User #313852 Info)
    Simon Singh's "The Code Book" is very accessable to non-mathemeticians, and has an excellent chapter on quantum crypto.
    I see a problem here (Score:1)
    by anon757 on Friday June 29, @04:55PM EST (#51)
    (User #265661 Info)
    The reason that quantam encryption isn't used everywehere, is that it's so darn hard to detect the spin of single photons. I think it's extremley unlikley that they have figured out how to discern the spin of a stream of photons, over 10 kilomiters, with a 0% error rate (otherwise you've got a bad encryption key) when it can barely be done over inches. That being said, it's still only a secure (YES, 100% Unbreakable, unless you feel like violating the laws of phyisics) method of exchanging encryption keys, but once exchanged, the data is still vulnerable to brute force cracking, like distributed.net.
    "I can eat worms! I can eat worms!!!" - Kimmi
    Is this really new? (Score:1)
    by Mr. McGibby on Friday June 29, @04:59PM EST (#53)
    (User #41471 Info) http://www2.cs.utah.edu/~gibson
    This isn't new. The idea has been around awhile. It would have been nice if the author had talked about recent developments.
    Neat. (Score:2)
    by Gray on Friday June 29, @05:02PM EST (#59)
    (User #5042 Info)
    Get a big box into orbit and host the evilest copyright violatingest server ever.. Yum.

    www.lowpass.net
  • 9 replies beneath your current threshold.
  •   May a hundred thousand midgets invade your home singing cheesy lounge-lizard versions of songs from The Wizard of Oz.
    All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Comments are owned by the Poster. The Rest © 1997-2001 OSDN.
    [ home | awards | supporters | rob's homepage | contribute story | older articles | OSDN | advertising | past polls | about | faq ]