Here's another fine mess you got me into!

That's the signoff line made famous by Oliver Hardy, whose autocratic ways
inevitably get him into a pickle, which he promptly blames on Stan Laurel, his
unassuming partner in rib-tickling.

I wonder which other technologically advanced country would call for 'opinions'
from stakeholders without even so much as publishing some meaningful data on
the basis of which suggestions can be made.

Here are some of the things I would like to know: 1. the precise geospatial
distribution of transmitters. 2. the tested reach (averaged out over time, from
inception till today) of each station. 3. the reported incidents of overlap, ie
interference, from persons located within overlap areas (as defined by 2). 4.
ditto, from competing stations in the same geographical area.

Without this most basic of information, the past years of growth of FM
broadcasting are simply made irresponsibly useless in terms of being able to
project with any degree of accuracy the likely consequence of decreasing the
channel separation limits, which were in the first place completely arbitrary.

This Session of Parliament may debate or pass (let's not have any illusions) a
Right to Services Bill, which amongst other clauses mandates that any
government department offering a service to the public must upfront declare
what that serviced comprises, and its deliverables. Between WPC and TRAI, I
think we are not being greedy to wonder about how scientifically the so-called
'scarce' spectrum is being parcelled out and utilised in India. While this
forum is not particularly concerned about 2-way communication channels, the
reality is that there is an inevitable movement worldwide towards the use of
smart signalling technologies, that hugely increase the efficiency of
utilisation of radio frequency signalling.

The question is therefore not totally irrelevant: to what extent is the
community mediascape being encouraged or discouraged by the growth of other
signalling applications? Within the current technology, what is the impact* of
revenue earning vs non-revenue centric licensing in audio community media? What
is the spread of broadcast languages between rural and urban stations,
commercial and non-commercial, and between commercial and non-commercial
stations in general.

*The impact could be measured in terms of direct revenues generated, and in
terms of change in reported income distribution in the areas under coverage of
community radio stations, for instance. More suitable measures could evolve
over time, once a beginning is made.

Listmembers probably have a wishlist of things that would help smoothen the
process by which radio stations are allowed to go on air - specific things that
would improve transparency and also optimise the time it takes to get broadcast
approval. What would it look like? What role should WPC play, and what role
TRAI? Is there any other way the occasionally conflicting but always
interlinking fields of spectrum, media and general growth of wellness could be
or should be coordinated?

Vickram
http://communicall.wordpress.com
http://vvcrishna.wordpress.com