An opposition united behind one candidate has its best chance in a decade to
oust the Yugoslav President amid intimidation and fears of electoral fraud

Special report: Serbia


Gillian Sandford in Belgrade and agencies
Sunday September 17, 2000

President Slobodan Milosevic is fighting for his political survival as he
enters the last week of a vicious presidential campaign tainted by
intimidation and haunted by fears of electoral fraud.
Faced for the first time in a decade by an opposition united behind a single
candidate, Milosevic is trailing in every opinion poll. But observers fear
his defeat, which would bring a political sea change in Yugoslavia, will be
followed by repression and bloodshed.

Tensions rose last week when a gang of men in civilian clothes stormed the
Belgrade offices of the get-out-and-vote campaign on Friday.

They entered the office of the group, known as Vreme Je (It Is Time),
locking the youngsters working there in a room and taking computers,
documents and other equipment. The Vreme Je workers were sighted in
handcuffs being offloaded from a van at Belgrade police station, said lawyer
and opposition politician Gaso Knezavic.

Last weekend police moved on the headquarters of the student-based
resistance group Otpor, leaving a small group of youngsters badly shaken
after being roughed-up but not seriously injured.

The regime has refused to allow observers from allegedly hostile countries
and organisations to monitor the elections. And opposition activists across
Serbia have been hauled into police stations for 'informative talks'.

Last week the regime campaign switched into high gear. Milosevic made two
rare personal appearances. Last Tuesday he opened a new hydro-electric dam
and on Friday the Zastava car plant in Kragujevac. His speech was plastered
across the front of the state newspaper, Politika, and dominated state
television news, which played on the regime's campaign theme:
reconstruction. 'This generation really has something to leave to the
generation to come - a 10-year-old resistance to violence, strongly
expressed national solidarity and courageous ability to cope in difficult
times,' he said.

But, Veselin Simonevic, editor of the popular non-government newspaper Blic,
says this time it won't wash. 'In the short and long term, Milosevic is a
loser. To a large number of citizens, he is finished.'

Last summer, when Milosevic changed the constitution and made the position
of president directly electable, it seemed a brilliant ruse, enabling him to
hold power for a further two terms. He believed egocentric opposition
leaders would continue their wars of vanity 'and in this he miscalculated',
says Simonevic.

According to opinion polls, the politician most people would vote for as a
presidential candidate was the leader of one of the smaller parties, Dr
Vojislav Kostunica, who is little known in the West. His candidacy has
turned the presidential poll into a serious race for high stakes.

In two weeks Kostunica has criss-crossed the country, drumming up support
from the eastern border towns to the west, and even made a dangerous trip to
Kosovo, when the Nato-led protection force had to intervene with riot squads
to separate warring pro- and anti-Milosevic Serbs.

Kostunica's aim is to mobilise disillusioned voters. He offers what many say
they seek: 'changes' and 'a normal life'. Analysts say if Milosevic were
defeated 'it would destroy the decade-long myth of invincibility'.

'Milosevic did not count on Kostunica,' says Simonevic. 'He counted that the
leaders of the opposition parties who always struggle between themselves
will do so again and that he would be able to win.

'Many citizens are not for Milosevic and have not been for a long time,' he
says, but explains that the opposition split the anti-Milosevic vote. This
time this is not happening. 'This is why Kostunica has a real chance.'

Every opinion poll pub lished shows Kostunica ahead of Milosevic. The least
optimistic showed Milosevic with 26 per cent and Kostunica with 29 per cent.
But other polls have shown the opposition contender steaming ahead. Such a
result would force a second round of voting - a run-off between Milosevic
and Kostunica. No publicly released poll has shown Milosevic winning that.

Former Socialist Party member Milovan Drecun, a former war reporter with
state television who recently left to form his own opposition party,
strongly asserts there will be voting fraud.

According to Drecun, who still has many contacts in the Socialist Party
(SPS): 'Milosevic wants to win the poll with 2.5 million votes in the first
round. No second round is planned.

'There will be manipulation and if the manipulation leads to protests, he is
preparing anti-riot police squads. He has well-trained units in the police
for breaking protests.' Drecun says electoral fraud will focus on Kosovo and
the two electoral districts in southern Serbia that encompass the province:
Prokopulje and Vranje.

The other area ripe for fraud, says Drecun, is Serbia's sister state in the
federation, Montenegro, where the pro-West opposition government of Milo
Djukanovic is boycotting the poll.

Simonevic also believes that there will be fraud: 'They are prepared to
steal as many votes as possible to avoid the second round,' he says.

'Many people expect a lot from these elections and from that a rebellion
over fraud can be born. If that happens, Milosevic will try to make a brutal
attack and use shock action.'


_______________________________________________
Crashlist resources: http://website.lineone.net/~resource_base
To change your options or unsubscribe go to:
http://lists.wwpublish.com/mailman/listinfo/crashlist

Reply via email to